The Transport Aircraft Research and Design Centre (TARDC) at Kanpur was established in 1967. TARDC has developed core competency in role modifications for transport, maritime and intelligence warfare aircraft, integration of mission system and avionics, aircraft upgrades, indigenisation, damage survey and assessment, development of repair and preventive maintenance technology, cabin furnishing and layout.
Recently TARDC has achieved Type Certification of HINDUSTAN-228 aircraft from DGCA, New Delhi.
- Mid-life Upgrades of Transport Aircraft,
- Design of Avionics / Structural modifications to meet customers’ specified requirements / Up-gradation of instrument & avionics equipment;
- Role modifications
- Surveys for damaged / accidents of aircraft, Preparation of repair schemes including in-situ repairs, Design liaison support, product improvement / development, Preparation and distribution of aircraft technical publications.
- Training to Aircrew and Ground / maintenance crew of our customers. Indigenization through R&D process development or vendor development
- In house design and development of Avionics Part Task Trainer for Transport aircraft
- Development of STC for FAR 23 Category transport aircraft (Civil / Military)
TARDC operates under:
Design Firm approval from CEMILAC for carrying out Design & Development activities on military transport aircraft.
CAR 21-JA approval from DGCA for -
a. Type Certification activities for Hindustan 228-201 aircraft.
b. Activities involving issuance of Supplemental Type Certificate for Normal category aircraft.
c. Upgrade/Modification/changes to type design/Repair design of Hindustan 228-201 aircraft and HAL manufactured Dornier 228-201 (Civil) aircraft.
d. Continued airworthiness activities to ensure safety and airworthiness for Hindustan 228-201, HAL manufactured Domier 228-201 (Civil) aircraft
Recognition as an In-House R&D Unit by Ministry of Science and Technology, Department of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR)
TARDC looks after Quality Assurance in the R&D activities which involve:
- Design Quality
- Review for inspect ability and testability
- Defect investigation
- Vendor Selection and approval
TARDC has successfully integrated state of art Digital Autopilot, Speech Secrecy System, Maritime Patrolling Radar (MPR), Pollution Surveillance System (PSS), Electronic Support Measures (ESM), Forward Looking Infrared Camera (FLIR) etc. on HAL Do-228 aircraft of Indian and foreign customers. Additionally, various avionics integrations have been undertaken on HS-748, AN-32, Boeing-737 transport aircraft and MI-17 and MI-8 Helicopters.
Type Certification of First Indigenous Light Transport Civil Passenger Aircraft “Hindustan 228-201”
Transport Aircraft R & D Center, HAL Kanpur completed Type Certification of first Indigenous Light Transport civil passenger aircraft “Hindustan 228-201
with latest FAR 23 certification
requirements from DGCA India
The Hindustan 228-201 aircraft has been especially designed & developed for regional applications and remote area connectivity through deployment across the country on regional short haul air routes under the Regional Connectivity Scheme by the name of UDAN i.e. ‘Udey Desh Ka Aam Nagrik’
launched by Govt. of India in April 2017.
This Hindustan 228-201 aircraft has been indigenously developed by HAL and brings in numerous new domains in the Indian civil aircraft industry:
- First project for DGCA, India for Type Certification in civil commuter role (19 pax).
- First ever aircraft undergoing Type Certification from DGCA, India as per latest FAR 23 amendment i.e. Level 64.
- Brings in new age technologies like better Engine/ Composite propeller/ Glass Cockpit (based on digital data bus technology) etc.
- The value of local manufactured parts and equipment certified for the Hindustan 228 aircraft is continuously increased promoting self-reliance under ‘Make in India’. Further, it provides a test platform in India for certifying Indigenous parts and appliances, designed and manufactured for civil aviation.
Integration of Digital Autopilot
Digital Autopilot is a three axis Flight Director and Autopilot which operates with Flight Command and HSI instruments.
In-Situ Repair of Aircraft
Bird Hit Aircraft
TARDC has excellent capabilities to recover bird-hit aircraft. The subject aircraft is surveyed, schemes developed to repair the aircraft on-site wherever possible or the aircraft is brought to Kanpur after carrying out initial repair on-site to make it fly-worthy for taking up final repair.
Belly Landed Aircraft
TARDC has excellent capabilities to recover severely damaged accidental aircraft (e.g. Aircraft landed on belly). The subject aircraft is surveyed, schemes developed to repair the aircraft on-site wherever possible or the aircraft is brought to a suitable base station after carrying out initial repair on-site to make it fly-worthy for taking up final repair.
The Centre is also engaged in indigenization to mitigate the dependence on foreign suppliers. These indigenized products have resulted into the substantial amount of FE savings over the years.
Head of Transport Aircraft R & D Centre(TARDC)
Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
P.O. Chakeri, Kanpur 208 008
Telephone: +91 - 512 - 2452156
(Direct) +91 - 512 - 2451749-58
(Exchange No.) Extension: 4435
Fax: 0512 - 2450085