The Division has two state-of-the-art computerized Ring Rolling mills with laser measuring device. The Ring mills are capable of manufacturing plain and profiled rolled rings in variety of materials such as Steel, Nickel, Titanium and Aluminium. The Division has been supplying rolled rings to global civil aerospace, Defence and Space application.
- Ring rolling mill 1 - 100 tonne radial force and 63 tonne axial force.
- Ring rolling mill 2 - 400 tonne radial force and 200 tonne axial force.
- Presses for preform manufacturing – 5000 tons and 1500 tons capacity
- Electrically heated pre-heating furnaces
- A 800-tonne capacity ring expander for cold expansion of Aluminium Alloy rings
The Division manufactures closed die forgings in various Aluminium, Steel, Titanium & Nickel based
alloys in many complex configurations for structural and gas turbine applications. The Division also
manufactures ‘Near Net’ shape aero engine compressor blades in Aluminium, Titanium and Nickel
based super alloys. CAD, CAM, CMM & simulation techniques are extensively used in the design,
manufacture and inspection of both components and tooling.
- 5000 automated hydraulic press
- 3000-tonne hydraulic press
- A range of screw presses up to 3200 Tons
- A range of pneumatic hammers up to 1500 kgs
- 10-tonne Counter blow hammer
- 1 tonne gravity Drop hammer
- Battery of electrical resistance pre-heating furnaces
- Heat treatment furnaces for hardening, tempering, solutionising, ageing, normalising and annealing.
The Division manufactures Investment Castings in Aluminium, Steel & Nickel alloys and Sand
Castings in Aluminium & Magnesium alloys.
- Full-fledged automated foundry with moulding line and core shooters
- Low Pressure Sand Casting machine
- Flux less melting facility
- Fluro-anodising facility for cleaning of oil passages
- Bottom Drop Quench Heat Treatment furnaces
- Sand Reclamation System
- Wax pattern injection machines
- Robotic Ceramic Shell making facility with High Speed Shell Drying System
- Vacuum and Air induction melting furnace
- NADCAP approved Vacuum/Controlled atmosphere heat treatment furnace
The Powder Metallurgy unit is the exclusive unit in the Country to produce a range of Copper and Iron based Metallo ceramic friction Material Brake pads, Discs and Organic Brake pads for Aircraft applications. Brake pads are developed and qualified by elaborate tests to meet the most stringent Airworthiness requirements. The DGAQA and DGCA have approved the unit for design, development, manufacture and testing of military and civilian aircraft brake pads.
- Twin roller pot mills and double cone blenders for powder mixing.
- 100, 250, 500, 1500 & 3000 tonne capacity hydraulic powder compacting presses.
- Hydrogen atmosphere pressure sintering Bell furnaces and Pusher sintering furnaces.
- Unique dynamometer testing facility for assessing performance characteristics of friction materials and brake pads.
Precision Rubber and Metal Rubber components such as Gaskets, Seals, O Rings, Sealings, Grommets, Bushes and Spigot Fittings are manufactured in the Division, meeting stringent Aeronautical Standards. They are produced in a range of Elastomeric materials such as Nitrile, Neoprene, Silicone, Fluorocarbon and Flurosilicone suiting operational requirements of aircraft or helicopters in the areas of gear boxes, fuel systems, engines, electrical circuits, vibration damping and structures.
- Hydraulic presses up to 150 ton capacity with automatic temperature and time control.
- Roll mixing mills.
- Hot air ovens.
Shape Memory Products
Shape Memory products can remember their shape and revert back to their original shape when they attain Transformation Temperature. The Division has entered into this technically challenging niche area as a strategic self-reliance measure to develop and manufacture sophisticated shape memory products.
- Vacuum induction melting furnace
- Vacuum arc re-melting furnace
- Hot rolling mill
Well-equipped support facilities have given a fillip to the core competence of the Foundry & Forge Division. Complementing the Division's comprehensive infrastructure is its skilled and experienced manpower. The Division constantly imparts management and technical training to update their skills and capabilities.
Full-fledged and well-equipped Engineering Department, with its highly qualified and experienced engineers, acts as a Nodal Agency for design & development of customized products and feasibility study. It acts a functional interface between customer and production departments and provides technical support in optimizing the process parameters. The team extensively uses virtual manufacturing with computer aided simulation such as Simufact, Deform, Procast etc to design the efficient process at optimum cost.
The Division’s Heat Treatment facility is NADCAP accredited besides approved by various global aerospace OEMs. The two Heat Treatment sections, one each in the Foundry and Forge shops are equipped with electrically heated furnaces (up to 2.2 meters diameter) with advanced temperature controllers and recorders for a range of heat treatments from solutionising and ageing to hardening and tempering, besides annealing and normalizing. Among the other facilities is the 1 m diameter by 1 m depth Vacuum heat treat furnace with gas quenching facility. The Division also has Vacuum Induction Melting, Vacuum Arc Remelting Furnace and an advanced automated heat treatment facility is being set up.
Other Supporting Facilities:
- Alloy fabrication for Castings
- Sand Rapid Prototype Machine (Additive Layer Manufacturing) for tool prototype and validation
- Magnetic Particle Inspection
- Fluorescent Penetrant Inspection
- 3D Scanning
- Digital Radiography
- Immersion Ultrasonic Testing
- In-house laboratory for all the Division’s testing needs
- F & F Division is looking out for outsourcing partners in the following areas:
- Rough machining of Rolled rings & Forgings
- Machining and polishing of Aerofoil forgings
- CNC machining of forging dies
- Fabrication of casting tooling
- Wire cutting and water-jet cutting
- Aircraft Brake pad machining
- Gamma radiography
- 3D scanning and reporting
- Additive Layer Manufacturing – Wax and Metal
- Ceramic Cores o Blanking
- Manufacturing of Elastomers
- Vendors interested to provide the above services may please contact:
Chief Manager (Planning & Outsourcing)
Phone: 080-22322135 / 1371 ;
National & International Approvals
- International Diamond Star Award in the realm of Customer Satisfaction
- Raksha Mantri Award for Excellence in Indigenization
- Best vendor award from BHEL
- Best vendor award from Ordnance Factory
- National Metallurgist Awards - 07
- Green Foundry Award
- Non Ferrous Best Performance Award by IIM
- Production Technology Award from AeSI
- Indigenization of Aeronautical Award by AeSI
- Casting of the year award from IIFM
- Excellent laboratory award from NIIS
- Dr Mahadevan Memorial Award to Factory Medical Superintendent
- National Failure Analyst from Society of Failure Analysis
- Women Excellence Award
- Patents awarded / filed – 01 / 14
- Copyrights awarded / filed – 19 / 21
- Full Fledged R&D laboratory facility - Nodal Agency for testing and consultancy support in materials.
- Areas of Expertise:
- Metallurgical testing & Characterization
- Chemical analysis
- Mechanical testing
- Calibration – Force and Thermal
- Materials Research & Development (including indigenization)
- Technical Consultancy on Materials
- Accident/Incident Failure Analysis
- Design data generation
- Training programs on NDT (including failure analysis) and Heat treatment
- Customers interested in availing the above testing services may please contact:
Senior Manager (Marketing) Phone: 080-22323132 / 2911
Please visit the following webpage for further details on our laboratory:
The Executive Director
Foundry & Forge Division
Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
Bangalore Complex PB No.1791, Vimanapura Post
Bangalore 560 017
Telephone: +91- 80 - 22322630 / 22314610
Fax: +91 - 80 - 22315521
Executive Director - firstname.lastname@example.org
Exports business - email@example.com
Telephone : +91 80-22315801 / 22323132
Domestic business - firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: + 91 80-22314337 / 22322911